Friday, June 6, 2008

Love Thy Neighbor

If you haven't seen or heard of this video let me introduce it to you. This happened in Conn. an older man was crossing the road and was struck by a car, not one witness to the accident did anything, its absolutely sickening to watch in the way that he lays there while cars continue to drive on and on lookers look and walk away. The report said no one reported it to the police but that the police just happened to be in the area. I don't how much of that is true but just watching that no one rushed to his aide makes me believe it.



This just floored me when I first saw it on the news last night! I couldn't believe no one rushed out there to help him. I can't believe the heartlessness of the people that day, what was so important to them that they couldn't delay what they were doing to help this poor man!

I remember a year and a half ago on a cold and rainy night in November I was coming to a four way stop and I noticed an older man crossing the street he had a cane and I remember thinking "Its so dark, I hope people can see him crossing" just as I thought that and was pulling up to the stop sign an SUV turning left hit this poor man. The image of him being hit will never leave me, it was like watching a rag doll flying through the air. Of course the lady that hit him got out along with many other people who witnessed the accident. I was alone in the car with Ana asleep in the back and because there was already a lot of people to his aide I didn't get out, but it happened right in front of me so I sat there in the car with my head lights on them until the ambulance came then I moved out of the way. It was so sad to see, but so many people came out to help it was cold and raining the people helping him covered him with a jacket and someone came out with their umbrella to keep the rain off him. It warms my heart to think of all the people who help this man and how fast they stopped to help.

There have been countless times when I've been out and about and been on the receiving end of kindness from a stranger and I too try to return the favor when I see an opportunity. It's been from holding the door for a mother with a stroller or helping someone load their heavy purchase from Costco into their car. The other day I was dragging an exercise glider into my storage unit, it wasn't heavy but it was big and awkward that the person passing by could see me struggling and stopped and helped me. I'm so thankful for the kindness of strangers and most especially friends and family. We can't go around this world so absorbed in ourselves that we don't see the needs of those around us. Thank you to all of you who have taken time out in your day to help someone in need and keep up the good work. As the prophet-king Benjamin taught, “When we are in the service of our fellow beings we are only in the service of our God”

2 comments:

Shane's Angie said...

Ugh, what a disturbing video! Thanks for reminding us to watch out for each other Traci!

Laraine said...

Great reminder, Traci. I did hear on the news just a few minutes ago that 4 people called 911 immediately after the accident. So I guess they felt they did their part. But not one person actually went to him to comfort him until the police got there. A very sad commentary on the world when people have become so callous they can leave a man lying in the street while they hurry by!