Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Stake Dance at my age?!?!

I need a big kick in the butt, I can't believe I didn't have my camera with me last night. First I should mention that Jethro and I have started attending a Samoan Ward and what a blessing it has been, but we'll save that topic for another post another day. What I want to share with you is that this weekend is our stake conference and our stake is a Tongan stake which consists of Tongan Wards and Samoan Wards. So to start off our Stake Conference last Sunday we had a Primary Fireside and all the primary kids in the stake put on the program, it was amazing to hear all those kids singing together, they filled up the whole chapel and all the parents filled up the overflow and gym. Then last night we had a Stake Dance, this was not your usual stake dance for youth only this was a family style stake dance and it was a blast!! When they announced it I told Jethro I wanted to go out of curiosity. It was at the UVU ballroom and it was ALOT of fun! It wasn't just a dance tho each ward performed a dance number from the different islands, and in between numbers they played music and everyone young and old got out on the dance floor and boogied. The best was the older couples in there 70's and 80's out on the floor dancing as well. That is when I wished I had my camera to capture these couples dancing. It was so sweet, they didn't only just dance to the slow songs but to the fast songs as well, one older gentleman who looked to be in his late 80's was dancing the "Electric Slide". It was so fun to see everyone out on the floor dancing, even Ana had a blast she was all over the dance floor. The sweetest thing that just melted my heart was when Ana saw other kids dancing with their parents she came up to me and said "Mama, come dance with me" how could I say no. I have always been so self conscience when it comes to dancing but not this time I didn't care I was gonna have fun dancing with Ana and after that I was out on the floor most of the time. I'm telling you I've never enjoyed a stake dance more then I did last night!!

4 comments:

Laraine said...

What a good Mom you are to put aside your own inhibitions and dance with your little girl!!! What great memories you are making with her! You go girl! Love you.

sarana said...

sounds like it was a blast!

Shane's Angie said...

OH. MY. I was born on the wrong continent. Gracie was too. I would LOVE a family dance! I could care less how goofy I look! I'd swing around with my chickies without a care in the world! Why can't our culture do more stuff like that?

Unknown said...

That's awesome. I wish you had your camera too!